Stepping Forward, a community dinner program supported by Faith Alliance churches, offers a free dinner to all who need it every Tuesday night at Faith Community UMC in West Chester. Servant volunteers from area churches cook, serve, and eat dinner with the guests, spending time to get to know one another and providing a non-judgmental ear. The program also equips families with specific skills, tools and relational support in order to move their lives forward to a higher level of self-sufficiency. See updates below.
New Program Coming to Youth Area!
Currently, there are a lot of youth coming to Stepping Forward and many children whose parents are in class are bringing friends with them to the youth areas. Plus many of the community youth are joining in when the kids head outside…. Starting in June a new program called “Elevate” for kids in Junior and High school, will be offered. Volunteers from Youth Group will participate in games and fun activities with SF youth. This will allow kids whose parents are in a class to also attend programming at SF. We are very excited about this collaboration!
Nurturing Health, Education, and Spirituality
- Recently, Stepping Forward had a Health Fair where people could get free blood pressure checks, eye exams and mental health screenings. A pharmacist was also there to answer medication questions, plus a local dentist who shared information about dental hygiene and distributed toothbrushes.
- Stepping Forward is currently hosting the Getting Ahead class provided by SELF. This is an 18-week class that helps individuals examine all areas of their lives and the barriers that are keeping them in the low-income cycle.
- Stepping Forward also hosted a Lenten Bible study that was well attended.
Providing Warm Meals (and Showers!)
- Currently there are between a 130 and 160 people for dinner each Tuesday night.
- Many homeless people attend SF for a comfortable and loving place to be, often enjoying a shower along with a great meal and warm companionship.
If you are interested in getting involved in any aspect of Stepping Forward, please contact Tara at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
The Faith Alliance board and friends recently served the dinner at Stepping Forward.